Thursday, May 19, 2011

Frustrated with the continuing time spent on trains, like the
MHOFW, for instance, I wonder how can we change this trend?
Trains are continuing to be re-crewed and left to sit for hours
on end and then pushed into the Crest with approximately one hour
left to work. With all the preaching on safety, how is it safe
to keep crews on duty all night, and then push and shove to get
the train into the hundred yard?

A new practice causing delays on yard trains is that the hump
jobs, which are one man remote jobs, are now not allowed to pull
up to track 215 to make their shoves unless they have 7200 feet
of cars. In other words, they have to walk back and forth,
setting and releasing brakes, pulling pins, and throwing switches
before their real job of shoving cars over the hump begins. The
yardmaster of the Crest now also has an extra task of deciding
which tracks and how many cars must be doubled. How is it safe
to continue putting more work on individuals and expecting
higher performance on people in general?

Frustrated, yes, to continue working in this push and shove
mentality, ask more, give less..... Yes, I appreciate my job.
I am willing to do what it takes to keep my job. Correct, I
probably don't get the big picture, but what I'm getting tells
me management needs to make some changes and give railroaders
a voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment